Black Lemonade is a lovely addition to any Halloween party or a random Harry Potter movie night in the dead of winter. Activated Charcoal is what makes this potion black in color and when served in a beaker its looks fabulously spooky.
Activated charcoal can be purchased in supplement form from any health food store such as Whole Foods, Sprouts, or Earth Fare. It can also be found at Wal-Mart or CVS in the supplement section.
I always have activated charcoal in my medicine cabinet in case of food poisoning, a stomach bug, or accidental gluten exposure. I worked alongside a physician that recommended this to me years ago and it’s been life changing for me. Activated charcoal binds to toxins and lessens the symptoms of these uncomfortable stomach upsets. On a side note, it will also bind to medications and supplements if taken within an hour of each other, so space apart. You should always check with your own physician before consuming activated charcoal.
- 4½ cups water
- 4-5 lemons
- 3 capsules activated charcoal
- Dark liquid stevia or sweetener of choice
- Glass Pitcher
- In a pitcher, add water.
- Cut the lemons in half, squeeze the juice out of the lemons and add juice to water.
- Over the water and lemon juice, open the charcoal capsules by gently squeezing each end of the capsules with a slight twist to pull apart.
- Add 4-6 drops of liquid stevia to the pitcher, more if you like it sweeter. You may omit this step and allow guest to add stevia to their own glass of lemonade.
- Stir all ingredients together and serve immediately.