One step in my healing journey with autoimmune disease has been cleaning up my household products. I never realized how many chemicals are in household cleaning products until I was faced with autoimmune disease. I became sensitive to cleaning smells and perfumes. The smells started causing headaches and sinus congestion. I knew I needed to change to natural cleaning products but I was reluctant to.
What peaked my interest in switching over to natural cleaning products was a friend. I went to her house and she had cleaned with Young Living Thieves Household Cleaner. Her house smelled like Christmas! It was a light refreshing smell that did not leave me with a headache or stuffy nose. This is when I became curious about essential oils because I was so skeptical about them. My background is in conventional medicine so naturally essential oils sounded weird to me.
Until…my nursing unit was asked to participate in a study. We were asked to offer essential oil aroma tabs to our nauseous post surgical patients before administering an antiemetic drug. I began collecting the data and seeing first hand the positive outcome of essential oils. I was amazed at how the smell of them could relieve nausea. It was this encounter with essential oils that made me a believer.
Switching over to natural cleaning products has been one of the best things I have done for my health. I noticed how my autoimmune symptoms began to lessen. I no longer have headaches or a stuffy nose when cleaning. If you are interested in these products and essential oils you can check that out here.
After using essential oils for some time I started creating recipes with them. This Spa Spray is now my home’s signature scent. I keep it in the bedrooms so we can spray it over our bed linens. It makes for a nice touch in the guest room as well. Before guests arrive I spray it on their sheets, towels, and robes to add a welcoming, fresh scent. I have added the links to the products that I use to make this recipe below.
- 4 ounce glass spray bottle
- 2 ounces distilled water
- 2 ounces witch hazel
- 4 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 4 drops lemon essential oil
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops tea tree essential oil
- 2 drops peppermint essential oil
- Open top to glass spray bottle.
- Add all the essential oil drops first to the spray bottle.
- After adding all the oils together, add the witch hazel to the spray bottle.
- Fill up the rest of the glass spray bottle with distilled water, almost 2 ounces.
- Secure the spray top in place and shake the bottle to mix all ingredients together.
- Spay on your bed sheets before bed.
This post contains an affiliate link through Young Living that I may be compensated for.