I came up with this recipe when I was craving pizza, but I did not want the extra carbs or energy crash that comes after eating the crust. The spaghetti squash is light and slightly sweet which compliments the tomato sauce. If you’re not feeling confident about roasting a spaghetti squash then check out my video for a step by step how to. Once you try making your first spaghetti squash it won’t seem so difficult.
The three meat blend in this recipe is so filling that you are guaranteed to be full for hours! I always have extra meat left over from this recipe so I freeze it and use it another time. The choice of meat is really up to you and what you like. I have made this recipe with just pepperoni or no meat at all, and its still really good. Make sure you read the label for the meat. These meats can contain hidden gluten. I like to use Applegate Meats for this recipe. Applegate Meats offers a large variety of gluten free products. They are also humanely raised, with no antibiotics. Their cooked Organic Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage is great with this recipe and it can replace the ground pork Italian Sausage.
I prefer to use my own homemade pizza sauce when I make this. It’s super easy to mix up and it keeps in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. It also freezes well. You can find that recipe here. If you don’t want to spend the extra time making the homemade sauce then buying it is fine.
I like to serve this recipe along with a side salad. My recipe for a simple side salad is found in my FREE Meal Plan when you subscribe to my newsletter. I also have a recipe for homemade ranch dressing that serves well with the side salad. It is my Dairy Free, Egg Free, Soy Free Ranch Dressing that is easy to mix up with spices found in your pantry.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 jar of favorite pizza sauce or homemade pizza sauce
- ¼ cup of ground Italian sausage, cooked (gluten free)
- ¼ cup (3 ounces) salami (Applegate Meats)
- ¼ cup (3 ounces) pepperoni (Applegate Meats)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Poke a hole in the spaghetti squash and microwave squash for 4-5 minutes. (Microwaving the squash will make it easier to cut.)
- Remove squash from the microwave and carefully cut off the stem. CAUTION: The squash is hot and will have hot steam inside. Do not burn yourself.
- Once the stem is removed, cut the squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds.
- Melt butter in a small bowl and add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to the melted butter and whisk together.
- Brush the melted butter mixture on the entire inside of the squash.
- Lay squash cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Roast squash for 30-40mins, or until the inside of the squash is tender and separates easily into strands with a fork.
- Once the inside of the squash strands have been separated, add about a ½ cup to 1 cup of pizza sauce to each half.
- Add the Italian sausage, salami, pepperoni, and cheese on each half of the squash over the pizza sauce.
- Place squash back in the oven on broil (high) for 4-5 minutes or until cheese begins to melt and browns.
- In a medium pot, cook sausage over medium/high heat, about 10 minutes.
- As sausage is cooking use a heat proof spatula to break up the sausage into small pieces.
- Cook until sausage is brown and done.