Oh The Academy Awards, a night of glitter and glamor, fashion and lights! And of course, the little gold man! The Academy Awards is a perfect time to invite your girlfriends over for an Oscar watch party. I want to share my recipes and simple decor tips that I use to help you throw a fun and easy Oscar themed party.
Decor: Dollar Tree
Once again, I am going to show to you how to pull this party off with some more Dollar Tree finds, because throwing a themed party does not have to break the bank. The following is what you will need from the Dollar Tree:
- Black Table Cloth
- Gold Table Cloth
- Tuxedo Party Favors Boxes
- Chocolate Candy to Stuff Tuxedo Party Favor Boxes
- Large Hanging Gold/White Pom Poms
- Red Paper Bags for the number of guests that are coming.
- Tissue Paper for the Swag Bags
- Paper Straws
- Gold or Silver Napkins
- Mini Clothespins
Snacks for the Swag Bags: (one bag for each guest)
- chocolate candy
- Gold or Silver Star Paper Plates (These can be used to serve the cupcakes on.)
- Paper Cups
- Utensils (I used my own silver ware)
- White Ceramic Plates (I used these instead of paper plates to better hold my Million Dollar Potatoes.)
- Ribbon (I used leftover Christmas ribbon to tie the gold straws to an Izze bottle.)
- Hollywood Selfie Photo Frame Prop (This is fun to have for a photo booth.)
- Hollywood Selfie Props (This is fun to have for a photo booth.)
- Star Confetti for Table Scatter
- Pens for Oscar Ballots
- Gold Candle Votives (I used candle votives that I already had from Dollar Tree in the past.)
- Tea Lights for candle votives
I created a printable party pack to help you celebrate the Academy Awards. It includes: cupcake toppers, Oscar food sign, swag bag labels, and a 2020 Oscar ballot. I print out the party graphics on card stock and then I use a paper cutter to cut out my sign, swag bag labels, and cupcake toppers. This only takes about 10 minutes and you can find this party pack in my Etsy store.
Once you have printed the party pack you can create the following with these instructions:
- Supplies Needed: scissors/paper cutter, tape, mini clothespins, and toothpicks.
- Cupcake Toppers- I taped one toothpick to the back of each cupcake topper.
- “And the Oscar Goes To…” Food Sign- I clipped to a 5×7 black frame.
- “Swag Bag” Labels – I clipped the label to the red bags, using mini clothespins.
- “202o Oscar Ballot”-I placed a ballot in each swag bag.
Optional Decor: Amazon Prime
I actually had the star garland, gold paint, gold/silver star mini clothespins, and gold glitter cupcake liners on hand from pervious parties. I found the gold star garland and star mini clothespins at Target last year on clearance. I’ve not seen them since, but I listed some similar items below that can be found on Amazon Prime if you want to purchase the extras. However, I did buy my mini Oscar trophies from Amazon.
I hung the Star Garland around the Gold/White Dollar Tree Pom Poms. I used the mini Oscar trophies as table decor and placed a trophy in each of the guests Swag Bag. I painted the bottom half of each red paper Dollar Tree bag with with gold paint and then attached the “Swag Bag” label using a mini star clothespin. The gold glitter cupcake liners I added to the cupcakes before serving them.
Grocery Store: Harris Teeter
I wanted to keep the food menu fast and easy so I chose to make one recipe for a main course, Million Dollar Potatoes. These are baked potatoes that are loaded with barbecue chicken, ranch, cheese, sour cream, and bacon bits. They are a family favorite that your guests will be sure to love. I made my “Polished Up” Party Cupcakes, but you could totally buy store bought cupcakes if you want to make it easier. I have served store bought cupcakes in the past, and added gold sprinkles to the top of them and then placed them in a gold glitter liner. I added glass pop/soda bottles to the grocery list because these are fun to place in each of the guests Swag Bag. I tied a paper straw to each bottle with leftover gold Christmas ribbon.
Click below to get the recipes:
- Award Winning Million Dollar Potatoes
- “Polished Up” Party Cupcakes
- Glass Pop/Soda Bottles (optional, for Swag Bags)
- Gold/Silver Sprinkles for Cupcakes (optional)
Putting It All Together Timeline:
Early In The Week:
- Order optional items off of Amazon Prime, if going to.
- Go to the grocery store and get the list of ingredients needed for the recipes.
- Go to Dollar Tree and purchase the shopping list of decor.
- Download the Oscar Party Printable Party Pack, print and cut it out.
- Complete the instructions to assemble the Printable Party Pack. (see above under Decor Etsy Subheading)
Saturday To-Do- List:
- Make “Polished Up” Party Cupcakes and store them in air tight container until ready to serve. Do not put the cupcake toppers or gold liners on the cupcakes until ready to serve.
- Assemble Tuxedo Party Favor Boxes and fill with chocolate candy that was purchased at Dollar Tree.
- Assemble Gold and White Pom Poms per instructions on product label.
- (Optional) Assemble Gold Glitter Cupcake Liners.
- (Optional) Paint the bottom half of Swag Bags with gold paint. Allow to dry overnight before assembling the Swag Bags.
- (Optional) Tie paper straws to each glass soda bottle with ribbon.
Sunday To -Do- List:
- Bake Potatoes for Million Dollar Potatoes.
- Place black table cloth on the table. Fold gold table cloth into a square and lay it over top of the black tablecloth in the middle.
- Set out the utensils, napkins, cups/glasses, plates, cupcake server, drink pitcher, and party favors.
- Hang the Pom Poms. (Optional- hang Star Garland)
- Place the framed food sign around the food on the table.
- Fill Swag Bags with snacks, candy, drink, Oscar Ballot and pen. Top off bags with “Swag Bag” Label and Tissue Paper. (Optional-mini gold Oscar Trophy)
- Place the cupcakes in gold glitter liners onto a serving tray and put cupcake toppers in the middle of cupcakes.
At The Party
- When guests are ready to eat, assemble Million Dollar Potatoes, or set up a buffet of potato toppings and allow guests to assemble their own potatoes.
- Hand out Swag Bags as guest are arriving so they can cast their Oscar Ballot.
- If your guests wanted to bring $5 each, you could throw this into a pot and whoever wins the Oscar vote gets to take home the money.
- Another fun idea is that your guests have to come dressed up and you all get to vote on “Best Dressed.”
I would love to know some of your ideas and fun things that you like to do for a Oscar Watch Party. Please comment below! 🙂