“Polished Up” Party Cupcakes is a gluten free boxed cake mix that has been amped up to awesome! For starters, I am not a baker, nor do I want to be. I usually shy away from sweets, especially after being diagnosed with Celiac. When I was diagnosed, there were hardly any brands that offered gluten free mixes or gluten free flours. If you wanted gluten free flour, you would have to mix it up yourself and hoped you got the right ratio of each flour and thickening agent. (Not to mention buying all the flours and thickening agents is expensive!) This is why I’m so grateful that more and more brands are offering their own gluten free flours and mixes, and since they offer them, I will buy them!
One noticeable difference of gluten free cake baking is the density and moisture of the cake. Gluten free cakes tend to be heavy and dry. Honestly, dry as toast if you slightly over bake it, but I have trick to fix this problem. It’s actually my friend’s trick that she taught me several years ago and I’ve been doing it ever since. What makes a gluten free cake light and fluffy? …Jello Pudding Mix! Yes, that’s right, one 99¢ box of Jello Pudding Mix fixes all gluten free cake baking problems. I could not believe it when my friend shared this me, until one day she brought me a cupcake that she had made, and it was the best cupcake that I had in YEARS! On a side note: If you don’t have a gluten free friend, you need to find one. It’s so nice to have someone that you can compare notes with and share food with.
Recently, I have been researching more about elevating a boxed cake mix. I found an idea about adding sour cream to the mix for moisture. So, I tried it, and sure enough, it worked! So, these are my secrets to “Polished Up” Party Cupcakes. It works like a charm every time! These hacks will work on different cake flavors too. This recipe is a vanilla cake mix so I used vanilla pudding. If you want to make a chocolate cake then buy a gluten free chocolate cake mix with a chocolate jello pudding mix.
I make these cupcakes for any occasion and just swap out the sprinkles, cupcake liners, and cupcake toppers to go with the party theme. I created a Super Bowl Party Theme Pack and just tailored the look to fit all things football. These cupcake toppers are included in my Oscar and Super Bowl Party Printable Packs. You can find these packs on my Etsy Shop, LindzLittlePrintShop.
Do you all have any gluten free baking hacks that have made your life easier?
- 1 gluten free vanilla boxed cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) vanilla Jello instant pudding mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add eggs, sour cream, water, oil, and vanilla extract. Using a mixer, mix all wet ingredients together for about 1 minute.
- Add the jello mix and cake mix to the wet ingredients, and mix all ingredients together for about 2 minutes on medium speed until combined together well.
- Using a large ice cream scooper, fill each cupcake well with a scoop of batter.
- Place cupcakes in oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, until able to poke center of cupcake with toothpick and toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool inside of muffin tin for 10 minutes then transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack and allow them to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are fully cooled, top with your favorite icing.