Waffles are a warm and comforting breakfast food that I actually love to eat for dinner. I like to have them with a big breakfast spread in the evening. Especially if it’s cold and rainy outside! I have a small tradition that I do on cold and rainy days. I come home and make a hot cup of black coffee and cook a big breakfast. Something about this tradition reminds me of home. I guess because growing up we would sometimes eat breakfast for dinner. Plus, I was born and raised in West Virginia so this only makes sense as to why I would enjoy a cool, overcast day that reminds me of mountain weather. I enjoy these days so much that I plan ahead for them.
I make a bunch of waffles at one time to freeze. That is why this recipe yields so many and calls for a dozen eggs. This recipe may also yield more waffles depending on the size of your waffle iron. After cooking the waffles in an waffle iron, I allow them to cool. Once the waffles have cooled I freeze them in ziplock bags by twos. When ready to eat, remove from the freezer and reheat them in the oven on broil(high) until toasty brown. They can also be reheated in a toaster oven too. When they come out of the oven I top mine off with Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips and hot maple syrup.
- 1½ cups coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons of extra coconut oil for waffle iron
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients of coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix together well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and add all the wet ingredients of coconut milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the whisked eggs. Mix together well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Brush a small amount of coconut oil over the waffle iron to prevent waffle from sticking to waffle iron. Do this step before cooking each waffle.
- Cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions of the waffle iron used.
- Add your preference of toppings to waffles: fruit, nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, maple syrup or butter.