Slow cooker recipes are the bomb! It’s nice to come home after a long day and have a hot meal ready to eat. I will get up an extra 30 minutes early just to get a slow cooker meal on. With this recipe I make the meatballs ahead of time and freeze them. This makes my time in the kitchen faster when I need a quick meal.
If you choose to freeze the meatballs ahead of time, do so after step 7 of the recipe. When freezing the meatballs I lay them single file in a large ziplock freezer bag so they will freeze individually and not mess up their form. I then lay the ziplock bag full of meatballs on a baking sheet and place it in freezer. Once the meatballs are frozen I remove the baking sheet from under them. When you are ready to cook this recipe, throw the meatballs in the crockpot with your favorite sauce and you are finished!
Cooking meatballs has been a new thing for me. I was never a fan until I figured out how much better they taste when the onion is cooked first. I’m sure a lot of people know this fact, but I’m just now discovering it! Sautéing the onion brings out it’s natural sweetness. When this step is completed first, you avoid biting into a piece of raw, crunchy onion! Yuck! Now that I have discovered this life changing, simple step…maybe I need to work on a meatloaf recipe?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce (gluten free)
- ½ cup gluten free bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 jar of favorite marinara sauce
- In a large skillet, sauté onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic to skillet and cook for another 1-2 minutes. (Do not allow the garlic to brown or it will taste bitter.)
- Set sautéed onions and garlic aside and allow to cool.
- In a separate bowl, beat two eggs together.
- Combine and mix together ground beef, beaten eggs, worcestershire sauce, gluten free bread crumbs, salt, pepper, basil, parsley, and cooled onions/garlic.
- Roll meatballs into 1-2 inch circles.
- Once meatballs have been rolled out, add the other 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet used to sauté onions/garlic and brown the meatballs on all sides over medium heat, but do not cook meatballs through.
- Add the meatballs to a slow cooker set on low with a jar of marinara sauce.
- Cook for 4 hours if meatballs are thawed and 6 hours if meatballs are frozen.